What is Organocide® Organic Fungicide and why should I use it?
- It is a water soluble EPA approved potassium bicarbonate based fungicide that has multiple modes of action which accounts for its ability to withstand resistance development. This makes it uniquely suitable as a standalone fungicide for foliar disease control or alternated as part of an integrated pest management program. Product efficacy confirmed by over 200 university and private research trials.
- It is registered “For Organic Production” with the USDA’s National Organic Program (NOP). The “For Organic Production” designation is based on approval of all ingredients as meeting the organic requirements set forth by the USDA’s NOP rules and as such, our EPA approved label is listed as being “For Organic Production”.
How does it work?
Organocide® Organic Fungicide has shown no resistance development due to the multiple modes of action it exhibits.
- Organocide® Organic Fungicide causes mildew spores and tubes to suffer immediate and rapid water loss, thereby effectively killing the fungus. It destroys the cell walls of mildew and prevents germination.
Years of Studies Have Concluded:
- Potassium bicarbonate ions inhibit the function of extracellular enzymes which are involved in fungal cell wall formation. Potassium bicarbonate acts as a desiccant (drying agent) causing spores to implode resulting in the collapse of membranes and cell walls. The pH of the potassium bicarbonate formulation is 8.2 and pH effects contribute a role in fungicidal activity in the following ways:
- Bicarbonates elevate extracellular and intracellular pH, thus inactivating enzymes produced by fungal pathogens which destroy plant tissues.
- At an elevated pH, fungi release H ions and expend energy to compensate for the hostile environment rather than using energy for growth.
What diseases will Organocide® Organic Fungicide control?
- Anthracnose, Ascochyta Blight, Black Spot, Botrytis Blight, Botrytis Grey Mold, Cercospora Leaf Blight, Corynespora Leaf Spot, Didymellina Leaf Spot, Diplodia Tip Blight, Dollar Spot, Downy Mildew, Entomosporium Leaf Spot, Fusarium, Helminthosporium Leaf Spot, Ink Spot, Molilinea Fruit & Blossom Rot, Penicillium spp., Phomopsis Blight, Phytophthora, Powdery Mildew, Ovulinia sp., Ramularia Leaf Spot, Ray Blight, Rust, Scab and Septoria Leaf Spot.
What about plant compatibility?
- Use on Annual and Perennial Flowers, Bedding Plants, Foliage Plants, Ground Covers, Woody and Ornamental Shade Trees, Woody and Herbaceous Ornamentals and Ornamental Nut and Fruit Trees, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Pumpkins, Squash, Herbs, Tobacco and more!
Where can I use Organocide® Organic Fungicide?
- Use in Greenhouse, Lath house, Shade house, Commercial & Residential Landscapes & Lawn, Interiorscapes, Nurseries, Container Production, Orchards, Field Applications, Golf Courses and Turf grass sites, near aquatics and water supply.
How should it be applied?
- Uniform and complete coverage is necessary for the most effective results.
- Do NOT add surfactants or acidifying or buffering agents.
- Product is a contact eradicate, complete coverage is necessary for best results.
- Apply during the coolest parts of the day.
- Exercise caution when spraying open blooms. Do a small area test to determine if they are susceptible to damage.
- Indoor, Greenhouse and Hydroponic: Spray at times when the sun is not coming through the glass as this magnified sunlight could cause burning on recently sprayed, wet leaves. Also, with high intensity artificial lighting it is best to turn lights off after spraying.
How often should it be applied?
- Start application at first sign of disease. For best protection, repeat at one to two week intervals until conditions are no longer favorable for disease development. Spray more often during rainy weather or during periods of high relative humidity. A post-harvest spray can be used on remaining foliage to decrease overwintering inoculum on certain crops.
Can I mix Organocide® Organic Fungicide with other products such as pesticides?
- We DO NOT recommend mixing the product with other products because it could inadvertently reduce the usefulness of Organocide® Organic Fungicide by altering its PH level.
Do I need to add surfactants (spreader/sticker) or oils to Organocide® Organic Fungicide?
- No, adding in additional ingredients would change the formula and cause burning of the leaves.
Can Organocide® Organic Fungicide be used indoors?
- It is EPA registered for use on indoor plants, completely odorless, and a respirator is not needed.
What are the “Other Ingredients” listed on the RTU label?
- It is a combination of organic surfactant, emulsifiers and water.
How is it available?
- It is available in a 24 oz & 72 oz RTU’s.