Since we first introduced Organocide® Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray back in 1996, we have received hundreds and possibly thousands of positive reviews. It’s certainly a favorite among organic growers and its popularity continues to grow today. Along with those reviews, we’ve received some commonly asked questions that we thought would be helpful to share in today’s blog.
If you have any further questions about this or any of our other products, please be sure to drop us a note in our “Contact Us” area. We’re happy to reply…you’re the reason we’re here!
Here are your FAQs:
How does Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray work?
- Dense oil spray smothers target insects on contact. The fatty acids in the oil are toxic to the target insects and they are unable to develop a resistance.
- Once liquid dries, a micro-film is left on the plant. Any hatchlings of the target insects get trapped in the film and die.
- Females arriving after treatment detect the film and will not lay eggs on the treated plant; recognizing the area as hazard to their eggs.
What insects will Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray control?
- It kills the eggs, larvae, nymphs and adult stages of over 25 soft bodied insects including (but not limited to) aphids, chinch bugs, citrus rust mites, flea egg & larvae, fuchsia mites, fungus gnats, hemlock wooly adelgid, leaf-rollers, mealy bugs, psyllids, scale, spider mites, thrips, and whiteflies.
Will it kill bees or butterflies?
- It is soft on beneficial insects – it will NOT harm bees, butterflies or ladybugs, when used at directed.
What fungicidal properties does Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray have?
- It controls certain fungal diseases such as (but not limited to) powdery mildew, downy mildew, black spot on roses, septora spot, bacterial tomato spot, citrus greasy spot & helminthosporium. It works by depriving the disease spore of moisture necessary for propagation and protects the plant from germ tube penetration and spreading of pathogens such as powdery mildew.
- If spraying on severely stressed or damaged plants, split the dosage rate in half to avoid adding additional stress.
- If Organocide Bee Safe 3-in1 Garden Spray is sprayed on a plant that has an underlying problem such as bacteria, then it could stress the plant.
What about plant compatibility?
- When used as directed it has an unusually high degree of safety to most plants, including herbs, fruits & vegetables. However, some plants in the Euphorbia family (Crown of Thorns, Poinsettia) have shown some sensitivity and orchids are known to be very sensitive plants. If in doubt, test first on a small area of foliage.
When should Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray be applied?
- It should be applied early morning or late evening. There is very little risk of leaf burn when applied to plants, when used as directed. Do not freeze or spray in temperatures over 95°F.
Since it’s made of fish oil, does it smell?
- Do not confuse fish oil with fish emulsion; Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray has a very slight fish odor that is exponentially better than fish emulsion. You will hardly notice it and the smell is gone in a couple of hours. The Ready to Use sizes are completely deodorized for in-home use.
How often should I use Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray?
- It will depend upon the pressures of the environment, but in general, one or two applications per month will usually control the problem.
Is Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray effective after rain?
- Yes, as long as the application has had a minimum of 3-4 hours to dry.
What happens if my pet ingests Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray?
- Product is NOT toxic and it’s made of food-grade oils. Unless your pet is allergic to ingredients they should not have a negative reaction. Provide extra water to keep pet hydrated, they may experience diarrhea depending on consumption.
How long should I wait before I let my pet outside?
- 3-4 hours so product has time to dry.
Does Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray expire?
- There is no defined shelf life; it will last for many years — shake well before mixing after it’s been properly stored.
How long can I store Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spay Concentrate once I’ve mixed with water?
- Your solution can last approximately 30-45 days because adding water introduces bacteria.
When can edible plants be harvested after spray?
- There is no re-entry time after application and plants can be harvested right after a spray. Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray is made up of all food-grade oils.
What if you’re allergic to Fish?
- You must not spray Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray at least 1 day before harvest. Then you also must wash your produce with light soap and vinegar solution in order to finish dissolving any residue of any oil that might be still on the plant.
There is sticky residue left on my kumquats, how can I get rid of it?
- Use a fruit and veggie wash that you can purchase at your local supermarket (in the produce section) or you can try a homemade version like the one below:
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
- SPRAY; put all ingredients into a spray bottle (be careful as it will foam up) shake gently to mix, then spray on veggies or fruit allow to sit for about 25 minutes then rinse under cold water.
- SOAK; fill a clean sink or a large basin with cold water; add in vinegar and salt, then swish around with hands (you may also do this in a large bowl). Place the fruit and/or veggies in and allow to sit for 2530 minutes although I have even left soaking for over an hour (this will not affect the flavor at all, the vinegar cleans and the salt draws out any little bugs, dirt and other small unwanted things, it also will remove some of the wax. Rinse under cold water and dry.
What should I do if my sprayer becomes clogged?
- After making your application of Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray we recommend running warm water thru the sprayer. For heavily clogged sprayers use a citrus based product (such as ZEP). Use it along with HOT water and agitate thoroughly.
What other products is it compatible with?
- You can tank mix with copper & pyrethrum and it even increases their effectiveness.
Does Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray work on Citrus Greening?
- It does not control Citrus Greening, but it will control psyllids – the insect that carries the disease.
How soon after using dusting sulfur can Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray be applied?
- You should wait between 7 to 10 days to spray Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray after the application of dry sulfur. (You also can try to apply a tank mix of Organocide Bee Safe-in-1 Garden Spray tank mixed with liquid sulfur at half dose both products. Run some test before going in large scale.)
Can I use it as a soil drench on medical marijuana plants for killing root aphids?
- Yes, mix 3 oz per gallon of water and use as a soil drench once per week (to break their life cycle), until aphids are gone.
Can Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray be used to control larvae found in the tree bark?
- Make a heavy application of Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray to the bark of the trunk and large limbs only. The idea is to leave a thin sticky film to trap the larvae as they hatch and crawl over the bark. Start with a concentrated solution of 6 oz. per gallon of water and spray over the bark. If the bark is not sticky to the touch, keep increasing the concentration per gallon until the desired results are obtained. Keep watch at the time of larvae hatching and time your applications for best results.
Can I spray on Fruit Trees when they are in bloom?
- Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray can be used every month for regular maintenance on fruit trees.
- Avoid spraying when temperatures are below 40 F or above 95 F and when rain forecast is less than 3 hours.
- You can use on the fruit trees during different growth stages of your fruit trees, such as dormant, silver tips, green tips, cluster, pink, bloom and fruit sets.
- Use at a rate of 2 oz per gallon of water during all growth stages, except during bloom, where you should apply at a rate of 1 oz per gallon.
Can I use it as a Dormant Oil?
- It’s the most important spray to be applied to fruit trees! Remember that some soft-bodied insects are hiding in crevices and cracks in the bark so make thorough coverage when spraying. The spray of Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray kills most overwintering adults and eggs, and thus slows seasonal build-ups. Apply at a rate of 4 oz per gallon before the buds swell or before new growth starts in the spring. If applied after growth starts, the fresh new tissue can be damaged. Apply when temperatures are above freezing and when the weather forecast calls for nonfreezing temperatures for at least 24 hours after application.
Can I mix with a Soluble Fertilizer?
- We have not found any adverse effects occurring with soluble fertilizers but it is recommended to test a small plant first. Do a premix of fertilizer first and then add the Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray at the highest rate to check for plant toxicity. If in 24 hours there are no toxicity symptoms then the mix is safe. If there is toxicity wait two days between applications.
If I applied at full concentrate what I can I do?
- Rinse plant(s) with lots of water as best you can and as soon as you can, preferably before the product has dried.
- Perennials may be lost. If contact was made with stem, plants may die.
Does Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray have any nutritional value?
- It does not have nutritional value; however, it is loaded with anti-oxidants which can have a positive effect to plants that may include increased growth or darker color.
What is the application rate for Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray in a fogging system?
- Add 1oz of Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray to 1 Gallon of water. Make sure to test on a small plot and wait 24 hours before spraying the rest of the affected area. What is the re-entry time?
- There is no re-entry time after application and plants can be harvested right after spray. Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray is made up of all food-grade oils.
How is it available?
- 24 & 7 2oz RTU, QT Concentrate, Hose End RTS, 1 Gal jug, 2½ Gal jug, 30 & 55 Gal drum and 250 Gal tote
 Aphids: Applications up close are helpful. Make a second application approx. an hour apart. If problem still persist try adding 1 TBSP per gallon of Ivory dish soap to your solution. This will provide a better spread and increase penetration.
 Chinch Bugs: Use at a rate of 5-6oz per gallon of water for every 1,000 square feet and water well right away to move the Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray down to where they live. Three applications may be needed one week apart to kill the nymphs that hatch.
 Fungus Gnats: Use Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray as a soil drench 3-4 days apart for 3 applications at a rate of 3 oz per gallon of water. You can re-apply after two weeks if problem persists.
 Scale: Spray the trunk as well as the top and bottom of foliage. For tough scale make three applications one week apart.
 Whiteflies are the most difficult insect to control because it has such a short life span and repopulates very quickly. Organocide Bee Safe 3-in-1 Garden Spray will kill them directly by contact but will not prevent them from coming back.